List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-kde] Multiple obs packages with the same source
From:       Raymond Wooninck <tittiatcoke () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-09-17 9:44:45

<toddrme2178@gmail.com>:
> > I notice in several cases there are several OBS packages with the same
> > source files but with multiple spec files.  Examples include
> > kdegames4/kdegames4-carddecks and kdebase4-workspace/python-kdebase4.
>
>  From the look of of both it seems to be the case that they can be
> merged indeed. Any expert opinions?
>
> Regards.
Hi Todd and Ismail,

I wish that things would be that simple. If you check the spec-file of python-
kdebase4, then you know it has a BuildRequires for python-kde4. Checking the
spec-file for python-kde4, you can find a BuildRequires for kdebase4-
workspace-devel.

As Todd indicated in the past we splitted out packages in separate spec-files
based on limitations of the spec-file itself. However there were also some
other reasons. One of them I mentioned above as that we never would be able to
build things due to dependencies on eachother. Building directly from source
on your local workstation is different as that there you normally have an
installed KDE environment, but this is not the case with OBS.

Another one is to save BuildPower. Most of the noarch packages are build only
for the i586 part and NOT on the x86_64 part. Also it could happen that with
splitting out you could build a certain part earlier due to less dependencies
than the main package. This would allow that more packages are build at the
same moment and this has a positive effect on the total buildtime required for
the full project. I know that Lubos spend quite some time in finding out the
right split for this.

The maintenaince is not that big as that most of those packages contain a
shell script (pre-checkin.sh) that allows us to change only the spec-file for
the main package and then this script would transfer the changes to the other
spec-files.

My opinion would be to leave them as they are now. But in the end it would be
Will to decide how to continue. Maybe an agenda topic for out biweekly team
meeting ?

Regards

Raymond