List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-kde] nepomuk spamming .xsession-errors
From:       dh <mesamoo115 () comcast ! net>
Date:       2011-08-02 21:12:04

----------------snip---------------------
> > What exactly is "kmail2"?
>
> It is the successor of kmail(1), which uses its own way to store messages
> and meta data, which is available in KDE 4.x up to 4.6.
> kmail2 or rather kontact2, which includes a.o. kaddressbook, which is
> available from KDE 4.7 onwards, uses a database via nepomuk, to store all
> kinds of meta data, I am not sure about the messages. So it is quite a
> change in the underlying structure.
>
> > I don't use "kmail2" - what ever that is - or have every used any
> > variant of this name in my life nor do I have nepomuck enabled - but
> > get (a) strange notification(s) message(s) which I thought would be of
> > some assistance to you.
>
> The application is still named kmail, kaddressbook etc., but to
> distinguish it from the application in KDE 4.6 and lower, it is called
> kmail2. So it depends on whether you use KDE 4.7 of 4.6 whether you use
> kmail(1) or kmail2.
>
> It means that when you use KDE 4.7 it is very difficult, if not
> impossible, to go back to 4.6, unless you made a backup of your KDE 4.6
> data. But anything done after the change to 4.7 will not be available in
> 4.6 when you go back to 4.6 via the backup.

That is not entirely accurate,
When you mention "unless you made a backup of your KDE 4.6
data" It sounds like alot of trouble. Backups like these should be made any
time you are moving from a stable system to the next big thing.

In reality only 1 file (kmailrc) seems critical (to me) in this case, perhaps
backups of around a dozen files would allow you to restore things w/ no
trouble at all.

I "upgraded" to kde sc4.7 with excitement about moving to kmail2 in
particular. Before the "upgrade" I read up a tiny bit on the kmail2
migration tool. Hoping for the best I started kmail (kmail2) and followed
the prompts. FAIL, read more, try again FAIL. Rinse and repeat until bored.

I was not surprised (or worried as I had made backups) by these failures,
tried a couple of fixes but no go. My mail setup just has to much going on.
Lots of folders, thousands of saved messages, filters, POP and IMAP accounts.
I wasn't surprised that the migration tool failed.

All of this is a long way of saying, although the migration may fail,
returning to the 4.4 series of kmail is not difficult.

Kmail 2 creates its own folder... ~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail2 so that does not
interfere w/ the older kmail (~/.kde4/share/apps/kmail).
Kmail2 does not alter (at least in my case) your mail folder. (I keep my
	mail in ~/Mail).
I don.t remember if ~/.kde4/share/config.kmailrc is the same for both apps or
not, but this file should be backed up when you have working configs anyway.

To return to the orig kmail (4.4 series) all I had to do was
	temporarily add the kde4.6 repo to yast,
	perform the downgrade, (only kdepim related apps, mail, organizer, etc)
	Once downgraded, I locked the versions for those (approx) 10 apps,
	removed kde4.6 from my repo list, restored kmailrc from my backup.
	Good to go

Actually I did find a problem, (I suspect that) configuration changes I made
in Akonadi while setting up Kmail2 overwrote my working configuration. I
could recieve mail, but somehow my send configurations had gotten BORKED. I
could have tracked down the backups of these configs as well, but
reconfiguring 3 email accounts to properly send mail wasn't that difficult
either.

Just wanted to clarify, returning to the tried and true kmail4.4... is not
terribly difficult at all. In fact it was probably easier than writing this e-
mail :-)

Oh and BTW, Nepomuk has been spamming my .xsesseon-errors file for quite
awhile as well. I don't remember, but I think turning nepomuk off in
systemsettings may reduce this problem.

see ya
dh