List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Fwd: Re: [opensuse-kde] KDE & NVidia login problems: any advice?
From:       Alvin Beach <alvinbeach () gmail ! com>
Date:       2011-06-30 15:56:23

Oops forgot to CC the mailing list...

Alvin

Date: June 30, 2011, 12:52:38 PM
From: Alvin Beach <alvinbeach@gmail.com>
To: Paul Hands <jphands@eircom.net>

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 3:15 PM, Paul Hands <jphands@eircom.net> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just rebuilt a machine which has been happily running SuSE 11.4 and
> various versions of the NVidia proprietary drivers.
>
> Running with the version of KDE installed by default from the distro DVD
> (4.6.0?), I can no longer log in.  The progress bar gets to about 80% and
> then just sits there.  If I leave it long enough, the screen saver cuts in,
> and them when reawakened, I get a black screen with the cursor, and the
> cursor responds to mouse moves, but nothing else.  [snip]

I had this issue with an older computer, but using an integrated intel
graphics.
The login would take a long time then I would get a black screen and a
white cursor that was responsive.

In the end, it had something to do with kernel mode setting (KMS). But
I am not completely confident though.

The fix that I am using was to add 'x11failsafe' to the boot options
in grub. Perhaps type it in manually when it boots first just in case
it prevents your system from coming up at all?

That said, I've been running with that for a months or so and
everything seems OK.

Hope this helps you.

Alvin