List:       suse-kde
Subject:    [opensuse-kde] need a crispy linucs for da missus, don't want to install windoze in her laptop
From:       kanenas () hawaii ! rr ! com
Date:       2008-08-21 9:16:32

I have about 2 weeks before my bill gates white trooper / son comes back home.
Before he comes back I want to have a killer suse laptop for the wife, da
missus and I just decided that she does not need a desktop, a laptop with a
choice between land line and wifi would be perfectly acceptable!
the problem is that the laptop is an aged hp job, the model is an hp pavilion,
ze1000 series, with an 80gb hard drive, 512mb ram and an amd xp-1500+ cpu.
presently, the laptop is a dual boot setup, 32 bit suse 10.3 is the default,
windoze xp is the other choice in the grub menu.  all that will be wiped out
for the *one* os to be freshly installed. Currently, the standard 10.3 suse
feels *a lot more sluggish* on the laptop than the xp and no, it is not
beagle, the dreaded dog was never allowed in the system at install! so, i am
asking for help in installing a fast suse system. should I go to 11.0?
should i try something like knoppyx? if i still do suse, what can i keep out
of the installation in order to gain speed? should i abandon kde and try
somethinglike xfce?
expected useage would be email, web browsing, book writing(oo), vlc /
mplayer / dvd playing multimedia, perhaps some pdf file creation.
any ideas will be welcome!