List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-kde] Buildservice repository restructuring
From:       Martin Schlander <suse () linuxin ! dk>
Date:       2008-06-10 10:00:35

Tirsdag den 10. Juni 2008 11:19:21 skrev Dirk Mueller:
> On Monday 09 June 2008, Ben Kevan wrote:
> > FWIW I consider KDE4:Stable to mean that it is the Stable release of KDE4
> > and not the Stable release for openSUSE itself.
> >
> > Maybe a KDE4:Release or KDE4:SUSEStable or something.
>
> Thats an interesting point, which makes me wonder why you suggest it. I'm
> interested in why you think that way. We've thought about this, and decided
> differently, for (among the) following reasons:

With the current repo layout "Stable" means "official release by KDE"
and "Unstable" means "KDE development version".

I also believe the gnomer repos use "stable" and "unstable" in the sense of
what's released officially upstream or not.

So it's clear there'll be some confusion, when it's changed for KDE to mean
stable/unstable SUSE packages.

However I agree 100% with the intentions of making it clearer to people that
running latest KDE packages from the BS should be considered a somewhat risky
thing, even if it's an official release by KDE. People don't get that
packaging KDE properly is not a trivial thing. They even think Kubuntu can do
it.

Maybe you could try and convince the gnome devs to use a similar structure?