List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [suse-kde] Problem assigning hotkey to XF86AudioMedia
From:       S Glasoe <srglasoe () comcast ! net>
Date:       2006-05-31 20:44:02

On Wednesday 31 May 2006 1:55 am, Alex wrote:
> I have quite a strange problem:
>
> I am currently using SUSE 10.1/64Bit and recent KDE Packages for this
> distro (which are since today 3.5.3, but the problem was already there
> with all previous KDE packages for SUSE 10.1). Everything worked
> perfectly with SUSE 10.0.
>
> I cannot set the key XF86AudioMedia on my Logitech Cordless Desktop to
> start Amarok (or any other application, by the way)! All other
> "multimedia"-keys on the keyboard (as far as they are recognized by the
> kernel) can be set up via the KDE Control Center to do something.
>
> The key is, however, recognized. Both "xev" and the KDE Control Center
> show "XF86AudioMedia" when it is pressed. But the action assigned to this
> key, doesn't matter which kind of action, won't be executed.
>
> I tried several of the possibilites in the KDE Control Center to assign
> Hotkeys. BTW the way hotkeys are handled in KDE is quite a mess, several
> possibilities to set this up, and it's not quite clear how they interact.
>
> Any idea what might be going wrong?

When I've seen this for other key sequences I was trying to setup it was due
to that key sequence already being assigned to something else somewhere in
the KDE hotkey assigning system. The trick was finding it! Once unassigned,
my key combos worked until the next KDE update, SUSE Linux update, etc.

Stan