List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [suse-kde] Suse Linux Professional 7.3 support
From:       Alvin Beach <alvinbeach () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-12-08 16:27:36

On Thursday 08 December 2005 12:05, michael@interobj.com wrote:
> Please help!. I am a newbie in the UNIX world and I am assigned to
> maintain a Suse Linux Professional 7.3 box which hosts our company mail
> server and website.  I came to find out that it seem we have been
> hacked, this box is exploited and emails are being sent to outside world
> without our knowledge, can someone tell me where I can find security
> patches for this version if suse.

Are you sure the box was hacked an not just setup as a relay? If you don't
properly configure postfix (I think that's what the mail daemon is called),
it will act as a relay. What this means, is that people can point to your
server as the mail server to send there emails. Read up on your mail server
daemon (again, I think it's postfix) and turn off the relay option.

Also, look into the iptables (firewall) documentation and block outside IPs
from using port 25 (SMTP) - if you are using SMTP.

After all that is done, start the process (research, downtime estimation,
etc.)  of how that server should be upgraded.

Welcome to the SysAdmin world!

Alvin