List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [suse-kde] Clean font rendering with freetype2, ttf,
From:       Alvin Beach <abeach () deepvision ! ca>
Date:       2005-06-23 16:16:18

On Thursday 23 June 2005 04:11, Robert Graf-Waczenski wrote:
> The freetype web page also mentions that their pixel-hinting algorithms
> are actually better than the bytecode interpreter, so they recommend to
> not enable it but to instead use their pixel-hinting algorithms.

Your post sparked my interest. In Control Centre I have anti-aliasing turned
on for all font sizes. I have to say, all the fonts look great. If I turn on
the Exclude Range, font between 8pt and 15pt look terrible. By default, I
have KDE set to to 10 pt. Do you know of any draw backs to using AA on all
font sizes?

I've done some googling on this issue with the bytecode interpreter and
apparently, freetype2 includes an autohinter (?). I have read claims that the
autohinter is suppose to be better than the bytecode interpreter. What are
your thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Alvin

--