List:       suse-kde
Subject:    [suse-kde] Incomplete KMail Backup and v1.5.4
From:       Mike McCallister <workingwriter () prodigy ! net>
Date:       2004-03-03 3:47:01

Hi folks!

I did a bad thing, and I hope I don't have to pay too dearly. Before upgrading
to SuSE 9.0, I tried to do the right thing and copied my Home/Mail directory
to the Windows side of my box. I didn't backup any of the config files, but I
thought that would be OK. I can live with recreating filters, as long as my
mail was intact.

During the install, YaST asked me if I wanted to get the latest updates, and
kindly updated several KDE packages, including KDEPIM. Once loaded, I ran
KMail to create a new Home/Mail directory (as I've done before in these
situations), then copied the contents of the other Mail dir back into the new
setup.

Now for the good part: instead of KMail grunting a bit and then displaying my
old folders intact and ready to go, I got nothing! Opening the Mail dir in
Konqueror showed my old friends in their accustomed hidden index folders and
files, but KMail's default folders (Inbox, outbox, sent-mail, etc.) were no
longer hidden. A look in this list's archives pointed me to the kmailrc file,
where now each recognized mail folder has a section (This may have been true
before, but I'm skeptical).

Is there anything I can do to restore these old mail-dirs, and begin to
reconstruct my filters? Just un-hiding them didn't work.

TIA,

Mike McCallister