List:       suse-kde
Subject:    [suse-kde] Enabling core dumps on SLP 9.0 i386 Solved
From:       Bob Pearson <gottadoit () mailsnare ! net>
Date:       2004-01-20 22:09:11

After a great deal of searching I was able to determine and fix the inability
to get core dumps in SLP 9.0 under a KDM login. Evidently, gpg-agent plays
some role in a KDM login, what I am not sure but it explicitly disables core
dumps in it's main function.

I was able to build a new version of /usr/bin/gpg-agent from package
newpg-0.9.4-119 using it's source RPM and build(1). It is missing several
dependencies for the build if BUILD_ROOT is set in your environment. If you
do not set BUILD_ROOT it uses /var/tmp and does not have any missing
dependencies. I have included the changes needed to gpg-agent.c and
instructions for building a new /usr/bin/gpg-agent.

which is just commenting out the call to:

#if notdef
       may_coredump = disable_core_dumps ();
#endif

in agent/gpg-agent.c

Also note, you must comment out the following in /etc/profile:
    #ulimit -Sc 0               # don't create core files

Perhaps ULB or someone will be kind enough to create a package. Maybe SuSE
will fix it.

Best Regards.
==================
Install the source rpm package for newpg-0.9.4-119 from the YaST via
Yast2->Software->Install and Remove Software and searching for newpg.
Check the source checkbox (scrolled off the screen).Install and Remove
Software and searching for newpg.
Check the source checkbox (scrolled off the screen). Push the accept button.
It will tell you which disc to get source from or to turnover the DVD disc
if you have the DVD.

Now as root create a temporary directory and cd to it.

# mkdir temp
# cd temp
# cp /usr/src/packages/SOURCES/die-with-parent.diff .
# cp /usr/src/packages/SOURCES/newpg-0.9.4.tar.bz2 .
# cp /usr/src/packages/SPECS/newpg.spec .

Now manually mount the install disc, mine goes to /media/dvd

# mount /media/dvd
# build newpg.spec

If you have never done this before it uses /var/tmp by default. This directory
is normally clean on reboot so you lose everything. Make sure you have enough
disk space free as build uses a chroot(1)ed environment. I have the
environmental variable BUILD_ROOT set to "/build" on my system but for this
discussion I will use /var/tmp as if BUILD_ROOT was not set.

The build copies all sorts of libraries and executeables from install system
to the chroot(1)ed environment. This will take several minutes. After the
build
finishes if no packages were missing then:

If unset use /var/tmp in place of ${BUILD_ROOT)

# cp ../newgpg-agent.c
${BUILD_ROOT}/buildroot//usr/src/packages/BUILD/newpg-0.9.4/agent/gpg-agent.c
# cd ${BUILD_ROOT}/buildroot//usr/src/packages/BUILD/newpg-0.9.4
# make
# cp agent/gpg-agent /usr/bin/gpg-agent

Reboot and you will be able to get coredumps.