List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [suse-kde] File associations
From:       Jaan Kold <jaan.kold () bostreammail ! com>
Date:       2003-12-14 11:10:33

On Wednesday 10 December 2003 16:29, Andrew Williams wrote:
> Over the years, suse have chopped and changed packages a lot.  With my
> machine now running 9.0, a lot of the file associations are obsolete
> (trying to play .MPG files with kmplayer is rather optimistic because
> kmplayer no longer exists.
>
> The obvious solution:
> - fire up 'Control Centre'
> - go to 'KDE components'
> - select 'File Associations' and start editing.  It would be good if
> there was an entry for 'remove all associations where the target program
> no longer exists', but there ain't.

Very good idea..

> Now the fun starts.  I removed a large number of duplicate and dead
> entries by hand before finally hitting 'apply'.  A short wait and back
> it came.
(SNIP)
> - changes I had made in the 'known types' column had worked, some
> entries there had been duplicated

First off: I'm not expert on this in any way,  I've only been tinkering with
associations too. Filetypes, MIME types, extensions are always cached in ram,
and uses a KDE database: sycoca, its the one keeping track of these entries.
Appearantly it does not refresh/rebuild the entire database by default --
could be the reason  you saw duplicate entries.  You should do that manually
when you make "too many"? changes:

As a regular user..
#  kbuildsycoca --noincremental

..if you see any errors, it probably indicates broken/ left over
"xxx.desktop" files.

Find your broken "xxx.desktop" entries here:
~/.kde/share/mimelnk/application/
~/.kde/share/mimelnk/video/

Remove the broken xxx.desktop files. Its easy to check -- you should be able
to left click these files and not get an error.

After that, rebuild the  *entire* cache and database:
#  kbuildsycoca --noincremental

Well.. this might help a little..and get you on the right track..

jk

--
Suse Linux 9.0 | 2.4.21-144-smp4G | KDE 3.1.4 | XFree86 v4.3.0.1