List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [suse-kde] Going from 3.04 to 3.11 in SuSE 8.1?
From:       "S.Matthew Prastein" <smprastein () mchsi ! com>
Date:       2003-04-29 14:48:13

Thanks for the detailed advice.  I had exactly the same experience on first try,
but was not smart enough to work my way through.  I'll give it a try. BTW, I
found Synaptic (0.26) to be a trap for the unwary in this situation.

I was hesitant to post my experiences in detail, for fear of being OT. since
SuSE states that it does not support apt.

==============
     On Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:41:11 +0200, you wrote:

>I made exactly that transition last week. After reading several threads here
>on the same subject I decided to give apt4rpm a try. (Cf.
>http://linux01.gwdg.de/apt4rpm/). It didn't work as advertised...
>  <snip>
>I resolved this by running "apt-get -s upgrade" to get a list of the packages
>apt would like to install, remove and upgrade if it could, then manually
>fetching them with wget (from my fast local mirror), and doing the work
>myself with rpm. Of course I then got the same errors from rpm which had
>caused apt to fail, but I could then resolve the conflicts by either
>removing, reinstalling or upgrading packages manually. I stumbled on some
>dependencies but eventually managed to install everything.
 <snip>
>After the upgrade, I have noticed absolutely no problems at all in my desktop
>or in any any KDE application I use.
>
>> I'm running SuSE 8.1 PRO, and looking for some hand-holding in going from
>> KDE 3.04 to 3.11.

Regards,
Matt Prastein