List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [suse-kde] KDE oddities w/SuSE 8.2
From:       Marian Routh <malke () elephantboycomputers ! com>
Date:       2003-04-25 15:44:05

On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 07:21, O'Smith wrote:
> On Friday 25 April 2003 10:07, Marian Routh wrote:
> > Hi - Clean install of SuSE 8.2 on a machine that was happily running
> > 8.0 and then 8.1 for the last year. Same ViewSonic A90 monitor, same
> > Geforce Ultra 2 (Gladiac, 64MB). Desktop is set to 1280 x 1024, 16
> > bit color as before. The monitor was correctly identified this time
> > (I had to enter settings manually in 8.0 and 8.1). When I open apps
> > full screen, they always open with the title bar cut off a bit. If I
> > "pull" the window down by dragging with the mouse, the full title bar
> > shows. I tried making the desktop smaller from YaST and also with the
> > monitor controls, with no change. I know this sounds stupid, but it's
> > irritating to not be able to see the close, minimize, etc. buttons
> > completely.
> >
> > Where and how would I change these settings?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Malke
> > --
> > Elephant Boy Computers
> > www.elephantboycomputers.com
> > Don't Panic!
> ====================
>
> Malke,
> This sounds to me like there is a "virtual screen" size setup larger
> than your requested resolution of 1280x1024.  Drop down to init 3 and
> run sax2 to check your settings and virtual screen size.  You might be
> able to do it from YaST2 as well, but usually to be on the safe side, I
> prefer to drop out of X before making monitor/graphics adjustments.
>
> Patrick

Thanks, guys. Turned out that I had set the screen size too large in
SaX2 - not the virtual resolution, but the bit where at the end you can
configure what you see with "change size" and "change position" arrows.
I made it smaller and then adjusted the actual picture on screen with
the monitor controls.

Thanks again! Now my apps look proper and I'm happy (except for a few
other kinks, but I'll post them separately).

Cheers,

Malke