List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [suse-kde] Re: Position of Desktop Icons KDE 3.1.1 (SOLVED)
From:       "O'Smith" <penguin0601 () earthlink ! net>
Date:       2003-04-25 15:14:12

On Thursday 24 April 2003 19:41, Michael wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 02:31:48PM +0100, Holger Winkler wrote:
> > Hello
> >
> > I place my shortcuts on the Desktop, but when I login for the next
> > time, all icons are misplaced. How can I save my session, so all
> > icons remain in the position I prefer ?
> >
> > SuSE 8.2 prof. KDE 3.1.1
> >

> > with best regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen
> >
> > Holger Winkler
>
> Salut,
>
> I have some difficulties with misplaced icons on the KDE-Desktop,
> as well; and while I couldn't find any further information
> (where can I find them?) I tried several things on my own
> - with the following results:
(snip)

> My question:
> Is there any possiblity to configure the start-process of KDE
> so that the automatic alignment of the Desktop-icons is omitted?
>
> Thanks in advance!
>
> Michael
----------------------------

I too would like to find an answer to this problem.  Icons seem to have
a mind of their own and never stay where they are put.  Actually some
do and some don't, but it would be nice to see them in their places
when you come back to KDE.  If anyone finds a solution to this anomaly,
I would certainly love to read it!  :o)

Patrick
*******************
For all those looking for a solution to this problem, it just showed up
on the regular SLE list.  I repost it here and thanks to Ben for his
answer!
Patrick
---------------------------
* Basil Chupin (blchupin@tpg.com.au) [030424 23:06]:
->I like the icons on my desktop to be in a particular order.
->
->Everytime I arrange them in that order, and align them "to the grid",
->after a restart or reboot SuSE _INSISTS_ that they be placed in the
->order _IT_ decides I should have them in!
->
->It has finally given me a small concession by allowing some icons to
->remain where I want them but the rest are placed where SuSE dictates.
->
->Didin't have this location problem in any of the earlier versions of
->Pro 've been running.
->
->Does anyone know how I can bend SuSE 8.2 to _my_ wishes?

Yes, you should highlight the icons and copy them to your home directory
then kill susewatcher from the systray. You can then copy the .desktop
(icons) files into ~/Desktop which will preserve your icons. You should
then be able to do what you like when you like with them. It seems that
susewatcher likes to screw with the icons on the desktop. If you don't
copy them to another location then the desktop before killing
susewatcher then it will take the icons with it. It's a bug. There is an
sdb article on it on the suse.de site. It's rather annoying but fixable.
--
Ben Rosenberg  ---===---===---===---  mailto:ben@whack.org
              Tell me what you believe..