List:       suse-kde
Subject:    Re: [suse-kde] KDE 3.1 Suse 8.1
From:       Andrew Williams <andrew.williams () gmx ! net>
Date:       2003-02-02 17:49:30

Sven Burmeister wrote:
> Hello everybody,
>
> I got Suse 8.1 and wanted to install KDE 3.1. However, as the new
> packages are not yet available with Yast2 Update I got the RPMs from
> kde.org meant for Suse 8.1.
>
> I ran into several problems, for example no matter how often I installed
> the multimedia-devel RPM YAst did not notice it and kept its 3.0.3.
> Another thing is that there does not seem to be a kdemultimedia rpm for
> the 3.1 release but Yast shows one for 3.0.3, thus I cannot update it
> should I uninstall it?

I update using 'rpm -U newpackage-3.1-nn.rpm' and delete old packages
with 'rpm -e oldpackage'.
'rpm -U newpack1.rpm newpack2.rpm newpack3.rpm'
is also good, as is (example) 'rpm -U kdemultimedia*'

To see what is installed:
'rpm -qa | sort | less' or (example) 'rpm -qa | grep -e kdemultimedia'
Using that approach caused me virtually no problems.

'man rpm' will tell you more, but that is enough for most problems.

The package kdemultimedia has been split into it's component parts, you
will probably have to remove the old package to avoid conflicts and then
install the new ones.

> The kdeaddons-konqueror rpm is not recognised by Yast after installing
> it and the 3.0.3 is still shown as being installed. This actually
> happens to quite a lot of KDE3.1's rpms.

I did not have that problem.  Maybe yast is hiding rpm error-messages.
Try it directly.

> After re-installing Suse I got konstructor to do the KDE 3.1 install
> which got me KDE 3.1 running but no Yast, so this is no option.
>
> What am I doing wrong? should I first download all KDE3.1 rpms, use Yast
> to uninstall all of KDE3 and then install 3.1?

downloading the lot worked fine for me, the rest you know.

> How did you do it when upgrading to 3.1? Konqueror > Install using Yast...?
>
> When will the 3.1 packages be available with Yast?

Apparently they won't (if I understood that correctly).  They will be
out with 8.2 but it is to much work adapting them for 8.1.  That
statement is not completely accurate but the answer was something
similar.  3.1 works fine as it is so that does not hurt.

> Thanks a lot in advance!
>
> Sven

The last (general) point: if you do your updates using rpm directly, run
SuSEconfig afterwards.  Sometimes it makes no difference, sometimes it
can be the difference between a working system and total instability.

Hope this helps.

--
opinions personal, facts suspect.
http://home.arcor.de/36bit/samba.html