List:       suse-kde
Subject:    [suse-kde] I can't compile any KDE package :?
From:       "Alberto Curro" <acurrop () wanadoo ! es>
Date:       2002-07-27 10:55:47

 Hi everyone,

   I'm using the 7.2 release, almost fully updated, and now I've XFree86
 4.2.0 and KDE 3.0.1 (binaries). As I want to improve the speed of KDE (I
 have a i686 plattform) and install the same time the 3.0.2 release, I have
 downloaded the .spm and installed it. What's my surprise when I do a
 "./configure" and it fails.

   The matter is this happens with every application designed for KDE 3.x.
 For example, with caitoo 2.0Beta1, this is the output from ./configure.

 alberto@linux:/usr/src/packages/SOURCES/caitoo-0.6.6 > ./configure
 creating cache ./config.cache
 checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/ginstall -c
 checking for working aclocal... found
 checking for working autoconf... found
 checking for working automake... found
 checking for working autoheader... found
 checking for working makeinfo... found
 checking for a C-Compiler...
 checking for gcc... gcc
 checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no
 checking for a C++-Compiler...
 checking for g++... g++
 checking whether the C++ compiler (g++  -s) works... no
 configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C++ compiler
cannot
 create executables.

   Any idea?

    BTW, I have installed these packages and versions :

     autoconf-2.5
     automake-1.5
     gcc-2.95.2
     g++-2.95.2

   and almost everything, though, that KDE3 needs to compile succesfully. Do
 I need another package, or 'tune' anything to get it?

   Regards

       Alberto Curro