List:       suse-imap-e
Subject:    Re: [suse-imap-e] SLOX
From:       "Jon R. Doyle" <marsaro () interearth ! com>
Date:       2002-11-26 4:10:52

You might ask if the Outlook connectivity is only IMAP and LDAP, that would
be quite mis-leading to think corporations that have Outlook installed,
connected to Exchange could migrate easy. THis is what most mail system
vendors are putting out, even Bynari is a silly little Proftp, tnif hack
that cannot properly deal with the "corporate" mode in Outlook.  More
free/busy like solutions are not going to convert masses because you must go
around to each client and manually set it up. Plus back-up is a nightmare
for anything over 100 desktops, even that is a nightmare unless you did more
hacks with samba syncs.

Stelltor takes the "plug-in" approach and that was what I was thinking SLOX
would do. It is quite a tempting solution, but the major downside is reverse
engineering everything to whichever way M$ changes outlook to break your
plugins (ask Novell about that game). In fact it is belived but some that
Free/Busy was ripped out of XP just to squash those silly Bynari attempts
under the thumb of Billy Boy.

Regards,

Jon