List:       suse-ham-e
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-ham] Graphical Menu Guidlines
From:       Bill Anderson <bill () bill-anderson ! com>
Date:       2008-06-30 15:35:25

Sid Boyce wrote:
> Bill Anderson wrote:
>> Does openSUSE have a guideline regarding the KDE/Gnome/Xfce menu
>> placement of ham radio software? Is anyone working with freedesktop.org
>> to have ham radio as standard menu file folder?
>>
>> Bill Anderson
>> WW7BA
>
> The development is outside of the main openSUSE tree, so there is no
> integration with KDE, etc. I create desktop icons for the programs that
> I need most often.
> 73... de Sid.
I forgot to mention that freedesktop.org is a project to develop
interoperability between the various X desktops: Gnome, KDE, Xfcs, and
others. While all of the major software packages adhere to their
interoperability standards/specifications, only a few ham radio packages
do so.

Appendix A of the Desktop Menu Specifications provides a list of
registered main categories and additional categories. I just checked the
latest revision, and HamRadio is now a registered sub-category. This
happened recently, as when I checked a few weeks ago, it still was not a
registered additional category. According to the Appendix, HamRadio can
appear as a category under either the Network or Audio main category. To
me, it is exciting that the software now has a home in the menu
structure. Now, we just need to get all of the packages to comply with
the specification.

Bill Anderson
WW7BA