List:       suse-ham-e
Subject:    Installing and configuring AX25
From:       "Jean-Paul ROUBELAT" <jpr () f6fbb ! org>
Date:       2000-10-14 6:35:27

Hello,

I think most people will agree that it's really a pain for beginners to
configure and start ax25 under LINUX.

To have the kernel already compiled and the apps and tools installed is
already a good thing, but this is only 30% of the job.

Some task they don't understand :

- how to (and why) load the modules
- what is a start script (and how to write/modify/configure it)
- what to run and what to configure in the start script
- how to edit and change the (multiple) configuration files
- what driver to use for each hardware
- and so on...

I know there is already a ax25 how-to, but if we could help beginners to
have a system running ax25 without spending weeks and headaches, this should
help them a lot.

What about :
- automatic/semi-automatic configuration
- hardware and interrupts detection
- installation scripts
- ???

I know, this may be a dream, but if nobody dreams, nothing will happen !

73,
Jean-Paul ROUBELAT - F6FBB      | Computers are like air-conditioners :
Packet: F6FBB@F6FBB.FMLR.FRA.EU | they stop working properly as soon as
Email : jpr@f6fbb.org           | you open windows.
WEB   : http://www.f6fbb.org    |