List:       suse-blinux
Subject:    Re: [suse-blinux] E-Mail and browsers
From:       Christian Schoepplein <schoeppi () suse ! de>
Date:       2001-09-19 19:46:38

Hi Gordon!

On Tue, 18 Sep 2001, Gordon Smith wrote:

> Hi.
>
> Can anybody suggest which would be the best e-mail utility to use in Suse,
> in a text-only system.

I'm useing pine, but there is also elm, mutt etc. Take a look into serie N
on the SusE-cdroms, there are several mailclients.

I can probably second-guess the answer to this next
> question, but what about an Internet web browser?

There are several webbrowsers too. For example lynx, links or w3m are
working fine.

  Finally, is their an FTP
> server with Suse that is installed in the default system, or one which I
> can find in the packages?

There are also several ftp-servers and clients. See also serie n on the
cdroms.

  Next, is there a way I can mount a FAT32 Windows
> partition, to make it visible to Linux?

Yes, the following command should work:

mount /dev/[fat32-partition] [mountpoint] -t vfat

Take a look into /etc/fstab, there are all partitions and there
mountpoints listed that you can mount (SusE detects this during
installation). For more infos see

man fstab

  and finally, I need to map the
> drives on my Linux box from my Window-based machine.  What's the easiest
> way of doing all this?

Setup samba on your linuxbox, that works fine. I can help you with the
installation if your configuration is not to heavy.

Best regards,
Schoeppi

--
SuSE-Blinux Support