List:       suse-blinux
Subject:    Re: [suse-blinux] Installing SuSE
From:       "Guido Schiffer" <guido_schiffer () web ! de>
Date:       2001-09-02 23:43:19

hi gordon,
you asked:

> I have a question regarding the installation of SuSE.  Is it possible to
> install SuSE with the following configuration:
>
> Drive 1 contains Windows, 9x in a FAT32 partition which occupies the
entire
> drive.
> Drives 2, 3 and 4 are FAT32 drives, used for data storage.
>
> Drive 5 is set aside for SuSE.

yes, it is.

> I have managed to get it installed with this configuration, but I then
> can't find a way to boot to Linux.  I followed the recommended Lilo
> installation, I.E., wrote the Lilo to floppy.  However, when it comes to
> boot time, the computer refuses to boot from the floppy SuSE created.  I
> would prefer to use a boot manager on my first drive to boot Linux, but
> this doesn't want to work either.  The manager finds the Linux
> configuration ok, but says it is non-bootable.  Any suggestions please,
> bearing in mind that I'm still new to Linux.

writing lilo to floppy should work (perhaps you didn't configure both
booting options), but i guess that's no solution for the future.
i made good experiences that way:
i configured lilo to boot neither wincrash or linux (i think by pressing the
<f4>-key you can configure the kernel to boot). when you configured both
(wincrash and linux) you can decide whether you want the lilo installed on
floppy or hd (mbr!).
i recommend writing the lilo on floppy first to test the config and if it
works fine repeat that and write it to mbr.
if you want to take a boot-manager (eg. by powerquest) you only need to
configure the kernel to boot and then write lilo to boot-record of / (the
root partition!).
beware! this won't work with the nt-bootmanager! if you want to use the
nt-loader feel free to ask me again.

guido