List:       suse-beta-e
Subject:    Re: [suse-beta-e] world wide beta test?
From:       Peter Czanik <pczanik () fang ! fa ! gau ! hu>
Date:       1999-12-10 21:29:05

Hello,

On Fri, 10 Dec 1999, Hubert Mantel wrote:
> If somebody finds some minor problem in some package, why shouldn't we
> just copy a fixed version to the ftp server, especially if it's already
Ooops, sorry for my provocative letter, but I was a bit angry, when I
realised, that I need to write an upgrade CD instead of 1-2 floppies, if I
want to install SuSE 6.3 without a fast Internet connection...
It is a good sign, that SuSE is giving up the "make a release every three
months, only security fixes in between" politics. But I still think, that
much more people should be involved in beta testing. Most of the traffic
came from me on the English beta test list, and probably there was not
more on the German one.
>From the updates, and from an economic point of view, I think that next
time a one or two CD beta kit should be done. It is cheaper to produce and
mail to testers (or faster to download ISO images with good Internet
connections), and could address the main problem: integration of packages,
installation/configuration programs developed in house by SuSE, the core
of the distribution. This includes a1/* (yast*, aaa_base, etc), SuSEconfig
and SuSEwm, which are unique to this distribution.
Sorry, if anyone got bored from this long, philosophycal e-mail... Bye,
	Peter

Peter Czanik			GAU Faculty of Agriculture
pczanik@fang.fa.gau.hu		http://fang.fa.gau.hu/~pczanik/
SuSE SupportDB, Linux Gazette	http://linux.integrity.hu/