List:       suse-autoinstall
Subject:    [opensuse-autoinstall] Subtle differences between 42.x(?) DVD- and NET-ISOs with AutoYAST
From:       686f6c6d <686f6c6d () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2017-08-16 14:42:30

Greetings,

we're experiencing the following strange issue:

We (re-)install our laptops using a USB boot stick and AutoYAST
profiles on an HTTP server. Since openSUSE 11.x, we've used the
openSUSE-*-DVD-type ISOs for this:
- Put the image on the stick (with dd),
- boot, enter "autoyast=http://foo/bar",
- laptop gets IP and DNS via DHCP,
- AutoYAST fetches the profile for the MAC of the laptop and installs… great!

For some reason, with openSUSE Leap 42.3 and 42.2 (haven't tested
more, but my documentation indicates it worked with 42.1), there's a
problem with the DVD-flavour ISOs. If we use these on our boot stick,
then during bootup eth0 won't be brought up, won't get IP and DNS info
and hence AutoYAST is unable to fetch the profile and install
successfully.

(Variant: When we don't enter our HTTP source as boot parameter but
via the bootloader menu entry "Source (F4)", eth0 does successfully
come up during startup and fetches IP and DNS info via DHCP, but then
fails in a different way: For some reason, AutoYAST then still wants
to configure wlan0 on the laptop as well and fails to find the
AutoYAST profile if no wireless connection data is entered or
available.)

We've tried creating the boot media with both plain "dd" and the
(openSUSE RPM) "imagewriter" with identical results.

Once we use the NET-flavour ISOs for our boot stick, it works as
expected. Is this expected behaviour? Is it a known issue?

--
Kind regards
    Christopher 'm4z' Holm / 686f6c6d

"We must respect the other fellow's religion, but only in the sense
and to the extent that we respect his theory that his wife is
beautiful and his children smart." --H. L. Mencken