List:       suse-autoinstall
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-autoinstall] autoinstallation using images in oS13.2?
From:       Johannes Meixner <jsmeix () suse ! de>
Date:       2015-02-19 9:59:36

Hello,

On Feb 19 10:25 vetter@physik.uni-wuerzburg.de wrote (excerpt):
>> the autoyast documentation in oS13.2 does not mention images
>> any longer.
>> Does it still work? I used it once upon a time, but don't
>> remember how.
>> I also don't find a documentation for it. Is the image
>> just a tar.gz of a preconfigured system?
>> How do I specify it in the control file?
>
> I finally found something:
> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Disaster_Recovery
>
> It has instructions for "Native disaster recovery with AutoYaST"
> https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Disaster_Recovery#Native_disaster_recovery_with_AutoYaST

Wow!
It seems you are the very first who recognized it!

The original documentation about "imaging feature"/"image script" is
http://users.suse.com/~ug/autoyast_changes_SLES10_SLES11.html

I (mis)-used it in rear-SUSE to skip RPM package installation
in AutoYaST in the same way as described at "Other possible ways
to do native disaster recovery with AutoYaST" in
https://en.opensuse.org/SDB:Disaster_Recovery

You may have a look at the original rear-SUSE documentation in
/usr/share/doc/packages/rear-SUSE/README in the rear-SUSE RPM.
You can "just install" the rear-SUSE RPM from
http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/home:/jsmeix/openSUSE_13.2/noarch/
The RPM installation won't do anything in your system
(except that you get its files stored on your disk).
For anything after SLE11 (in particular for SLE12 and 13.2)
rear-SUSE can no longer work because the whole installation
workflow is meanwhile too different (new installer, systemd
instead of sysVinit, ...).
Nevertheless the general information in the rear-SUSE README
might be still of interest.

Kind Regards
Johannes Meixner
--
SUSE LINUX GmbH - GF: Felix Imendoerffer, Jane Smithard, Jennifer Guild,
Dilip Upmanyu, Graham Norton - HRB 21284 (AG Nuernberg)