List:       suse-autoinstall
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-autoinstall] Mysterious grub hang with
From:       "Hans-Joachim Ehlers" <HansJoachim.Ehlers () eumetsat ! int>
Date:       2008-10-16 7:30:48

Just a thought,
is the xfs driver loaded during network installation ?  Saying so i would make a test with ext3 fs.

hth
Hajo

>>> Gary Lowell <glowell@powerfile.com> 16/10/2008 02:20 >>>
Hi -

I'm looking for some pointers on how to figure out why grub is hanging
during autoyast install.

The profile was created on the target system after installing from the
OpenSuSE 11 DVD.  Pretty much all options and package selections were
the default.  I did update to autoyast2-2.16.19-0.1 to generate the
profile, as the installed version appeared to go into an infinite loop
trying to resolve package dependencies.

After wiping the disk, and starting a network install with that profile,
it hangs installing the grub rpm post install scriptlet.  If I kill that
process and run the grub script by hand it succeeds, and the autoyast
apparently proceeds normally.  I've tried several variations of this all
with the same result.

The command in the script that hangs is:
     /usr/sbin/grub --batch < /etc/grub.conf >/dev/null 2>&1
and grub.conf is:
    setup --stage2=/boot/grub/stage2 (hd0) (hd0,1)
    quit

The only thing at all unusual about the system is that boot/root disk
is  a hardware raid array managed by an LSISAS1068E chip on the
motherboard.  There is only one target, and that is correctly labeled as
/dev/sda.  /dev/sda1 is swap, and /dev/sda2 is root (with XFS
filesystem).  But this all works normally with a DVD install.

Any pointers on how to track this down would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Gary