List:       suse-autoinstall
Subject:    Re: [opensuse-autoinstall] Do a reboot after paritioning
From:       Michael Welle <m.welle () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-01-24 10:45:11

Hi,

Uwe Gansert <ug@suse.de> writes:

> On Wednesday 24 January 2007 11:06, Michael Welle wrote:
>
>> > no, there is no easy way but why do you want to reboot? What exactly do
>> > you want to achieve?
>>
>> in our management tool one can assign different tasks (such as
>> partitioning, installing, etc) to a client. To perform a full
>> installation one selects all predefined tasks. That's the way we
>> install SuSE Linux now. But the GUI lets you select only one task,
>> e.g. formating. Our users expected now that formating is the only
>> action performed on the client.
>
> ah. Interesting :)
jepp ;). You can select a setup (e.g. SuSE Linux, some system from
Redmond, or maybe Solaris if I find some time), select properties like
IP stuff, partitioning, basic software scheme, display etc and assign
the setup to a group of clients. After that select the desired tasks
(e.g. full install), press the start button and go for a coffee. After
a while 10k machines are deployed with the system. You have only one
tool to learn to deploy all this different platforms. Disadvantage: it
is not an open source tool.

> You can always do partitioning in a pre-script with fdisk if that is an
> option for you. After that, you can reboot if you want.
Good hint, thanks. I have to think a little bit about it. But that may
be the way to go.

Michael

--
biff4emacsen - A biff-like tool for (X)Emacs
http://www.c0t0d0s0.de/biff4emacsen/biff4emacsen.html