List:       suse-autoinstall
Subject:    Re: [suse-autoinstall] How can I regularly update the install
From:       Michael Marion <mmarion () qualcomm ! com>
Date:       2005-04-13 21:56:30

On 13 Apr, Luca Pacor wrote:

> I am asking myself whether it would be possible to online_update the
> autoinstall repository: it would be nice to be able to install new
> machines using an up-to-date repository reducing this way the install
> time ...
> I am using SuSE 9.2

You could regularly pull down updates into your own update path, and use that.

I created a SUSE-Updates tree at the same level as my SUSE-CORE and SUSE-SLES
paths, and put updates into there.  Then use create_package_descr to make the
descr files.

i.e. under
sles9/SUSE-Updates/updates
I have dirs for i586, x86_64, noarch and setup
I put the rpms into the right paths based on arch, then cd into
sles9/SUSE-Updates/updates and run:
/opt/kde3/share/apps/krpmview/create_package_descr -d .

That creates the files under setup:
cornholio updates {1229}$ find setup/
setup/
setup/descr
setup/descr/packages
setup/descr/packages.DU
setup/descr/packages.en

Note that you have to remove conflicting old rpms too.. i.e. if you put
something new in, like autofs-4.1.4, you have to remove autofs-4.1.3 before
running the create_package_descr script.

You could setup a tree like this and rsync in new packages when you get them,
and even remove older ones if you script well enough.  I do it by hand since
we have to test all new changes and stuff here before we push them out
into our compute farm.

You also have to have the order and instorder files setup to see that path,
mine are:
cornholio sles9 {1234}$ cat yast/order
/SUSE-Updates   /SUSE-Updates
/SUSE-SLES-Version-9/CD1        /SUSE-SLES-Version-9/CD1
/SUSE-CORE-Version-9/CD1        /SUSE-CORE-Version-9/CD1
cornholio sles9 {1235}$ cat yast/instorder
/SUSE-CORE-Version-9/CD1
/SUSE-Updates
/SUSE-SLES-Version-9/CD1

When you start a new install, or use yast to point to the Updates path, you'll
know pretty quickly if it's seen as valid or not.

I've used this setup to add in a lot of things we needed that weren't
stock in sles9, or just to update packages.  I added openafs, updated
autofs with direct map support, updated kernel (mostly for autofs
patches), etc.

--
Mike Marion-Unix SysAdmin/Staff Engineer-http://www.qualcomm.com
[Jerry and George describe wedgies to Elaine]