List:       suse-autoinstall
Subject:    [suse-autoinstall] Create Reference Profile problems
From:       Henrik Schmidt <hbs () ks ! informatik ! uni-kiel ! de>
Date:       2004-07-20 12:10:23

First question :

I want to install 16 identical clients with PXE boot and autoyast.

I installed one with DVD and tried to clone its setup with autoyast and
'Create Reference Profile'. I expected to get the complete setup including
Software, Partitions, Graphics Card, Monitor, Network Devices, Sound etc.

Not so :(

I'm missing Partitioning (says Total of 0 drives), Sound (not configured
yet), Network Card (not configured yet) as well as Graphics Card and
Monitor.

Parts working are Software, Boot Loader and General Options.
Am I missing something ? Note that I did NOT check the Basic Resources
checkboxes for Partitioning, Boot Loader and Software so I expected to get
an exact copy of settings.

Second question :

Regardless of the problem mentioned above I tried to see wether the
network PXE install will work. I successfully managed to setup DHCP, TFTP
and NFS and the client is starting to install. Problem is yast in auto
install mode asked for manual acception of the setup to start
installation. How can I skip this to get a fully automated install without
user intervention ?

Thanks for a great setup tool. Hope I can manage to overcome these hurdles
to do complete auto installs in the future.

Third question :

Will future versions of SuSE break compatibility of 9.1 configurations for
PXE autoinstall ? What are the steps to configure a 9.1 client for
autoinstall of 9.2 with the same setup as used for 9.1 ? Is it just
adopting config.xml to suit new/different software packages ?

Thanks

Henrik Schmidt

--
Henrik Schmidt                  Christian-Albrechts-Universitaet zu Kiel
Institut fuer Informatik        +49 (431) 880 75 - 50 Fax or 43 Phone