List:       suse-amd64
Subject:    Re: [suse-amd64] Screensaver not working...
From:       Steffen Moser <lists () steffen-moser ! de>
Date:       2006-08-03 14:04:03

Hi Tom,

* On Mon, Jul 31, 2006 at 08:02 AM (-0400), Tom Corr wrote:

> I tried your solutions below with little success.  Could you please give me
> some more details of your experiences.
>
> On Wednesday 26 July 2006 12:43, Steffen Moser wrote:
> > Hi Tom,
> >
> > * On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 08:25 AM (-0400), Tom Corr wrote:
> > > I noticed my KDE screensaver has quit running.  I can go to
> > > kde->configure desktop->screensavers and select any screensaver that i
> > > want and they all appear to work from there.
> >
> > I am running SUSE Linux 10.0 x86_64 (KDE 3.4.2 Level "b") on an AMD64
> > and noticed quite a similar behaviour. As it "is only about the screen
> > saver" I haven't put much time in it to look for the source of the
> > problem, yet.
> >
> > Up to now I found out that it might have something to do with the setting
> > "Make aware of power management" in KDE's screen saver settings. At least
> > it seems to me (I haven't checked it systematically, yet) that the screen
> > saver functions when this option is disabled (I am not talking about the
> > DPMS settings themselves, but about the "power management awareness" set-
> > ting within the screen saver configuration panel of "kcontrol").
>
> Not to appear overly stupid, but where is the "power management awareness"
> settings within kcontrol->appearance & themes->screen saver?  I can not find
> it there.  I wonder if i'm just missing something very obvious??

Perhaps the problem was that I've configured KDE for the German
language, which means that I translated it back into English by
myself.

So I've just switched over to English...

When opening "kcontrol", "appearance & themes", "screen saver" I can
find a checkbox called "Make aware of power management".

Perhaps this isn't available in 10.1 anymore (I am running 10.0, so I
can't say anything about 10.1).

You can find screen shots of my settings here:

  http://www.steffen-moser.de/temp/ml/suse-amd64/2006-08-03_settings-p01_screen-saver.png
  http://www.steffen-moser.de/temp/ml/suse-amd64/2006-08-03_settings-p02_display.png

> I can go to kcontrol->peripherals->Display and find on the "Power Control" tab
> an entry for "Enable display power management".  Is this what you are
> referring too?

No, I was referring to the option that can be found in the screen saver
settings.

But, in the meanwhile I can say that this option was not the cause of
the problem that I had. My problem was definitively fixed by changing
the options of "KPowersave" which is running in my task bar.

> > I've just told KPowersave not to touch the DPMS settings anymore, and
> > indeed both, the screen saver and DPMS, seem to function now. But I
> > will observe it a bit more to get really sure that this has solved it.
> >
> Has this been working for you?

Yes, it really seems to work here now, and the guilty ones seem to have
been the settings of "KPowersave".

> If so, how did you tell KPowersave not to touch the DPMS settings
> anymore?

I clicked on KPowersave's icon (beneath the clock in the task bar),
then "Configure KPowersave". There I edited the settings for profile
"Performance" as this is the profile that I usually use.

There I disabled all check boxes in the "Screen saver and DPMS" panel,
so now it looks like this:

  http://www.steffen-moser.de/temp/ml/suse-amd64/2006-08-03_settings-p03_KPowersave.png

Since doing this all problems have gone. The screen saver starts after
15 minutes, and after 30 minutes DPMS powers off the backlight of my
LCD.

> Thanks for you help.

HTH!

But, of course, it may be something completely different at your site.

Best regards,
Steffen