List:       suse-amd64
Subject:    [suse-amd64] SuSe and issues with their kernel's.
From:       Brad Dameron <brad () seatab ! com>
Date:       2006-04-19 21:49:23

I have copied this to both lists due to my disgust with SuSe's kernel
modifications from the vanilla kernel and additional modules not
compiling right off of them.

Anyone compiling a vanilla kernel under SuSe 10?

First here is my hardware configuration:

Appro XtremeServer with 4 - 880 CPU's, 64GB Ram, 2 - 36GB 15k SCSI
drives
This server uses the NVidia nForce4 Pro 2200/2050 chipset

I untar my kernel. Enter the directory, do a "zcat /proc/config.gz
> .config"
Then I do a "make menuconfig". Look through the settings not changing
anything. Do my make, make modules_install, make install. Everthing
looks good. Do a reboot, it starts the boot, gets to my 79xx SCSI
driver, sees the first few drives, then starts dumping kernel error
messages and finally freezes up. I am using a software RAID1 of 2
drives. But that should not matter. I have also downloaded the OpenSuse
10.1RC1 kernel which is 2.6.16-20 installed that. Everything booted
fine. So I copied it's .config into the vanilla kernel directory, did my
make routine, reboot and same issue.

Why do I need a vanilla kernel you ask? Well because there are a lot of
applications that do not seem to compile when pointed to the SuSe kernel
source tree. One being RedHat GFS which we are going to start using.
There are other applications as well. And I am a bit upset that they
change their kernel so much that some of these applications will not
compile on their kernel.

Or if anyone is using GFS on SuSe let me know what you did.

Any help appreciated.

Brad Dameron
SeaTab Software
www.seatab.com