List:       suse-amd64
Subject:    Re: [suse-amd64] Problem Resolution & Benefits: (Was: Trouble installing
From:       "Constantine 'Gus' Fantanas" <fantanas () innocent ! com>
Date:       2006-04-04 20:28:53

Bjørn Lie wrote:
> Onsdag 01 mars 2006 06:07, skrev Constantine 'Gus' Fantanas:
>
>> Hi all.
>>
>> I am trying kernel 2.6.15-rc5, which I downloaded from the SuSE ftp
>> site.  When trying to install the nVidia 8178 drivers, the nVidia
>> installer fails and in the nVidia error log file I see an error message
>> about the kernel lacking the vmap() function.  Since I tried to "slim
>> down" the kernel, it is possible I did not set an option I should have.
>>
>> Could anybody comment on this?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Gus Fantanas
>>
>> --
>> Running 64-bit Linux on AMD64
>>

> Try the patch NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-8178-U012206.diff.txt
>
> Get it from http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=62021
>
> Bjørn

Thank you so much, Bjørn!  I updated my kernel to 2.6.16 and then
visited the URL you suggested.  I installed the "cummulative patch,"
followed their instructions, and my 8178 driver now works great.  After
the kernel and nVidia video driver updates, I observed that a nettlesome
problem was fixed.  Namely, before these two upgrades, postscript images
(displayed via 'gv' or 'ghostview') and PDF images (displayed via
'acroread', but, surprisingly not 'xv') appeared stretched across the
long dimension of the screen (my Presario R3000Z-series AMD64 laptop has
a 17´´- wide screen).  After these updates, this problem disappeared!  I
am not sure why and I am not sure whether it was the kernel upgrade or
the nVidia update that did it (I suspect the latter) because I did not
change the settings in my '/etc/X11/XF86Config' file.

Again, thank you for your helpful suggestion.

CF

--
Running 64-bit Linux on AMD64