List:       suse-amd64
Subject:    Re: [suse-amd64] New kernel -> segfaults
From:       "Paul C. Leopardi" <leopardi () bigpond ! net ! au>
Date:       2004-08-06 23:20:37

Hi all, see below, best regards
On Saturday 07 August 2004 01:53, Andi Kleen wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 06, 2004 at 11:40:04AM +1000, Paul C. Leopardi wrote:
> > On Friday 06 August 2004 10:14, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > > Can you put up a simple test case that shows the problem somewhere?
> >
> > Unfortunately, I'm not sure where to start in creating a simple test
> > case.
>
> If you can get me a self contained binary tarball that I can download and a
> simple program that I can run and that shows the segfault that only happens
> with the new kernel I could take a look at it.

OK. Can anyone else here help me out? By "self contained" I think that means
statically linked, so I should be able to figure this out myself.

By "simple program", I think that means a ***different*** program to the one
which I know fails. I have not many clues on how to create a different,
simple program which still fails. The only clue I really have is that my
program failed when trying to allocate a hash table of size 2^16 == 65536,
where the hash is essentially from 64-bit unsigned long to double, using
__gnu_cxx::hash_map.

I'll write a program which just creates such a table, and see if it segfaults.
If it does not, I'll try stripping stuff out of the program which fails,
until it no longer fails, and submit the simplest program which fails.

Does anyone know of a quicker way to obtain a simple test case?