List:       suse-amd64
Subject:    [suse-amd64] Problems using graphical interfaces for bibtex
From:       Nicole Steireif <momo () tipp ! wutz ! org>
Date:       2004-07-31 20:41:22

Hi there,

after silently reading on this list for some months I now have a problem
I can't solve with all my friends, so I'm going to ask my first question
here. First I am no programmer or something like that, but just a user,
so excuse me if these are quite silly questions to ya geeks :o)

SuSE version is 9.1 x86-64

My first problem is the software "pybliographer" (provided with the
DVDs) which gives the following output when trying to start:

nist@yeeshor:~> pybliographer
Willkommen zu pybliographer, Version 1.2.2
Copyright (C) 1998-2004 Frederic GOBRY
Dies ist freie Software OHNE JEDE GARANTIE.
Für Details, wählen Sie `warranty'.
Nützliche Befehle:
         help     für Hilfe
         quit     zum Beenden

Traceback (most recent call last):
   File "/opt/gnome/bin/pybliographer", line 153, in ?
     execfile (filename, user_global)
   File "/opt/gnome/share/pybliographer/pybrc.py", line 5, in ?
     from Pyblio.TextUI import *
   File "/opt/gnome/share/pybliographer/Pyblio/TextUI.py", line 28, in ?
     from Pyblio import Base, Help, Search, Types, Autoload, Fields
   File "/opt/gnome/share/pybliographer/Pyblio/Base.py", line 31, in ?
     from Pyblio import Config, Open, Utils, Key, Iterator, Selection,
Autoload
   File "/opt/gnome/share/pybliographer/Pyblio/Open.py", line 24, in ?
     from Pyblio import Autoload, Fields, Help, Exceptions
   File "/opt/gnome/share/pybliographer/Pyblio/Fields.py", line 24, in ?
     import string, types, re, string, recode, urlparse, os, gettext, time
   File "/opt/gnome/share/pybliographer/Pyblio/recode.py", line 22, in ?
     import _recode
ImportError: No module named _recode

I googled around and found out that recode 3.6 has a bug which makes it
unsuitable for pybliographer, so I tried to install from source with the
provided patch applied:
http://www.pybliographer.org/help/recode/view?searchterm=recode

The configure from SuSEs recode sources exited because of the missing
64bit support. Same with the original gnu sources. After replacing
config.sub and config.guess with newer versions from the installed
(/usr/share) libtool configure succeeded.

But the "make" afterwards then complained about some m4 stuff. See

http://nopaste.php.cd/24184

for details.

Since pybliographer did not work as intended, I tried to run bibview
instead. But it core dumped with a segmentation violation in a "strcpy"
right at startup.

I'm a little stuck at this point and fear to handle all my bibliography
manually with a plain text editor for my thesis.

Any hints from your side? Help is very much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Nicole

--

Das Einkommen ist die Provision,