List:       suse-amd64
Subject:    Re: [suse-amd64] 9.1 and ASUS L5800DF: pcmcia
From:       "Matt T." <Matt () Boons ! net>
Date:       2004-07-29 6:05:03

On Wednesday 28 July 2004 16:17, Sebastian Henschel wrote:
> hi matt..
>
> * "Matt T." <Matt@Boons.net> [2004-07-27 10:28 +0200]:
> > On Monday 26 July 2004 22:03, Sebastian Henschel wrote:
> > > unfortunately, i could not get pcmcia to work on an ASUS L5800DF with
> > > mobile athlon64. when i insert any pcmcia-card, i get:
> > >
> > > cs: unable to map card memory

[snip]
> > >   cs: unable to map card memory!
> > >   cs: unable to map card memory!
> > >   cs: unable to map card memory!
> > >   cs: unable to map card memory!
> > >   cs: unable to map card memory!
> > >   cs: unable to map card memory!
> >
> > I'm seeing the same on a HP zv5188ea. The HP and the Compaq presarios
> > with AMD64 seem to be almost identical, and all have this problem. Your
> > asus seems also to have the nforce3, so I guess you have the same
> > problem:
> >
> > As a first step you might need to add a memory range to
> > the /etc/pcmcia/config.opts file.
>
> [...]
[snip]
> > From your lspci I think you need to include
> >
> >         I/O behind bridge: 0000b000-0000dfff
> >         Memory behind bridge: f8a00000-feafffff
>
> aha, i looked at the cardbus bridges and their window-/io-window.
>
> [...]
>
> > This step did make the error message dissappear in my hp, however it was
> > not enough to get the drivers loaded.
>
> the error message does not appear on that machine now, too. even the
> drivers load, but it seems unuseable. the driver of the network card
> spits out loads of "excess collisions", "transmitter busy", aso. the
> modem claims ttyS0/1 which are already used (by IrDA for instance).

the first time it did run I got a wrong dev (ttyS14), and from then on (forgot
if I changed something) it gave me ttyS4, which works fine. This is with
2.6.8-rc2 though. And I do not have IrDA :-(

> > This seems to be a kernel issue. I compiled vanilla 2.6.8-rc2, and now
> > the device (here /dev/ttyxx) gets assigned to the pcmcia card.
> >
> > 2.6.7 might help also. BUT - you might loose your touchpad. SuSE has
> > apparently included all to have notebooks with synaptics / alps touchpads
> > working, but if you use the vanilla kernel, you need to patch it
> > yourself. I can't tell yet how to do it, I'm still stuck in the middle of
> > it.
>
> i am already 2.6.7 running with the latest ACPI patch. no problem with
> the touchpad.

Intersting, you used stock vanilla and then you applied an ACPI patch? Please
point me to that patch, this might be missing for me and causing my USB
problems.

[snip]

> thanks,
>  sebastian