List:       suse-amd64
Subject:    Re: [suse-amd64] Shuttle PN15 802.11g (was: NVidia nForce3 LAN
From:       Dabe Murphy <dabe () dabe ! com>
Date:       2004-07-23 9:55:48

On Thu, 22 Jul 2004, Sid Boyce wrote:

>> Ron Lau wrote:
>>
>>> I have a shuttle AMD64 system, same chipset, and mine works fine.
>>> (gigabit and sound).

Which Shuttle model(s) come with GigE?  I bought a SN85G4(v2) last month
with an Athlon64 3200 (1GB RAM, 250GB SATA, DVD+-RW, etc.) running SuSE
Linux 9.1 Personal, and IT didn't come with Gigabit!  Bummer!

The reason I'm beating my head against the wall now, though, is because I
just got a Shuttle "PN15" 802.11g USB WLAN Module, and Linux doesn't seem
to recognize it.  I go into "Yast2 -> Hardware -> Hardware Information"
and it says "Unclassified Device".  :-(

Does anybody know if there are drivers for this wireless module?  I
scoured Shuttle's website, and filled out their customer feedback form; if
they need to hear from more people to convince them to support Linux, I'm
doing my part.  (And if they need somebody to beta test the x86_64 Linux
build, I'm their guy!)

Mayhaps a newer kernel might help?  I'm hovering at "2.6.5-7.95-default"
now; anything newer will mean fetching source.  I've got no problems doing
a "make oldconfig; make; make install; make modules_install", though.
(Before I reinstalled I was up to 2.6.7, which was the latest at the time,
but that was also before I got this WLAN dongle.)

Also, the BIOS History at "ftp://ftp.shuttle.com/BIOS/fn85/readmefn85.htm"
didn't seem to touch on any of this, but that's another moving part I can
try to tweak if I think it might help (And if I can figure out how to
flash the BIOS without using Windows...)

Anyway, anybody's help will be greatly appreciated.  Rock on!

--
Dabrien "Dabe" Murphy
Sr. Systems Administrator