List:       suse-amd64
Subject:    Re: [suse-amd64] Stable motherboard, CPU & Ram combo?
From:       "Paul C. Leopardi" <leopardi () bigpond ! net ! au>
Date:       2004-05-04 22:32:54

Hi Frederic,
I have a GigaByte GA-K8NNXP with Athlon 64 3200+.
The motherboard uses the nVIDIA nForce3 150 chipset.
The RAM is 2 x 512MB GeiL High Performance DDR 400.
I'm using an MSI FX5700 TD128 AGP video card, which is an nVIDIA Gforce FX
5700 graphics card.

I don't have SuSE Linux Professional 9.1 yet. It's due to arrive on 15 May.
With 9.0, I have had many stability issues, many of which are still
unresolved. For a start, I had to update the motherboard bios to F12.
XFree86 4.3 does not support my graphics card. On the other hand the nVIDIA
1.0-5332 driver taints the kernel, since it uses a binary-only kernel module.
I occasionally get freezes and reboots of the whole system, cause still
unknown, though I suspect the nVIDIA kernel module and AMD64, nForce3, AGP,
ACPI, APIC, etc. etc. bugs in the kernel.

I'm now running the 2.6.5 kernel to try to incorporate as many AMD64, nForce3
and other fixes as are currently available. See my many posts to this list.