List:       sun-managers
Subject:    ssh on SunOS 4
From:       Eric Zylstra <ezylstra () ucla ! edu>
Date:       2001-08-31 23:00:48

I've seen comment on this in the past, but it didn't fully address my
current issues.

I'm running SunOS 4.1.3 because the hardware runs a medical
scanner--no OS patches or OS upgrades are allowed in fear of breaking
functionality.

I've been following writeups on compiling openssh, however I've hit a catch-22:
1.  I must install Perl 5; this requires a modern compiler (the
built-in cc isn't acceptable to the config script) so,
2.  I must install gcc (because I have no better compiler options),
3.  gcc compilation craps out with a core dump, a known issue that requires I,
4.  install current binutils, which in turn require a modern compiler
such as gcc to compile...

I found a workaround from 1996 that utilized some software from
Wietse Venema that no longer is on his ftp site.  I've found
binaries, also, but only for Solaris 2.5 or later.  Does anyone have
some good advice?

Thanks,

Eric Zylstra