List:       sun-managers
Subject:    OS Loading
From:       Bill Fay <c-bill.fay () wcom ! com>
Date:       2001-04-30 19:36:17

Sirs/Madams:

I have acquired a couple of E3000's for use as lab boxes/dev. servers,
etc.  While poking around in them I noticed that one had been loaded with
the swap partition starting at cylinder 0 and ending at 485 and the root
partition starting up where it left off (cyl. 486) and continuing for the
entire disk.  Obviously, they had loaded a single partition OS, but I am
wondering if there is any technical reason for them to have started the
swap partition at cylinder 0?  I have never loaded a system in such a
manner.  I have always loaded the root, followed by the swap, then the next
partition and so forth. Is there in fact a good reason for starting up the
swap partition at cylinder 0?

TIA,
BF