List:       sun-managers
Subject:    SCSI tape drive and bus reset errors
From:       Lisa Weihl <lweihl () cs ! bgsu ! edu>
Date:       2001-04-30 16:45:49

I have an Ultra 5 running Solaris 2.6 with a 6540A single ended dual
channel UW SCSI card.  On one channel of the card I have an HP SureStore
DAT24.  On the other channel are 2 UW hard drives.

I've had this server up and running for about 3 years.  The tape drive
worked flawlessly until last Aug. when I started getting bus reset
errors.  It didn't just up and quit but the errors became more frequent as
time went on.  At that time HP replaced it no questions asked.  Now, within
the last month, the same error has started to crop up again.  Some backups
are successful and others fail with a bus reset error.  When I called HP
support the tech wanted to believe that the error was somewhere besides the
tape drive.  I hadn't changed the terminator or cable so I told him I was
willing to do that.  I wanted some feedback on the group about if there is
anything else I should try or other problems that might be causing the bus
resets.  Backups are done via a perl script written by a previous
admin.  It just utilizes ufsdump and controls the backup process since we
are also backing up a few other servers across the network in addition to
the local drives on the Ultra.

I do not have much experience troubleshooting SCSI errors such as this and
it always seems that someone wants to pass the buck when errors occur.  I'm
just hoping the group can give me some additional info to try so that if
the cable/terminator swap fails I can have some data to get HP to replace
the drive again.

Also there are dip switches on the bottom of the drive that control
compression and other options.  The documentation gives 3 different
possible settings for Solaris and I think I've tried all 3.  If I have
these set incorrectly would that cause a bus reset error?  I have not
changed the recently and the current settings show all the switches on
except for numbers 4,7 and 8.

TIA for any advice.