List:       sun-managers
Subject:    Compiling for different Solaris-versions
From:       Philipp Bachmann <bachlipp () uni-freiburg ! de>
Date:       2001-04-30 14:08:58

Hello alltogether,

my problem is, that when building dynamic executables the Solaris linker
records shared libraries not by the name given by the "-l" command line
argument, but with the name recorded inside the shared libraries' dynamic
section using ld's "-h" option (e.g. if linked with "-lXm" under Solaris 8
SPARC the library reference points to "libXm.so.4", not to "libXm.so").
This, I know, is due to versioning effords. Using such binaries even under
Solaris 7 is impossible - ld.so.1 won't find the lib, because there's only
an older version of it. Is there a standard way to build one executable
for different Solaris versions, i.e. forcing the linker to drop any file
name extension when writing the dynamic section? Does perhaps the usage of
GNU ld (from the binutils) with its "linker scripts" represent a solution?
O.K., the drawback will be that versioning by the file names of the shared
objects won't work this way.

Thanks,
Ph.B

--