List:       sun-managers
Subject:    SUMMARY :eeprom security-password=
From:       "Bill Hewitt (cst)" <bill () cogsci ! ed ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2000-09-29 10:03:51

I originally asked :-

> Is it possible to set this from a file rather than having to type in the
> password at the command line ? I'd like to set the same prom password for a
> number of machines from jumpstart if possible. I have a begin script that
> prompts for the password twice, but it would be better if it could set it
> automatically!

A number of folk suggested using expect, which I tried but ran out of time
before I got it fully working. However, I'm sure it would work.

Eric van de Meerakker then suggested the following "hack" with temporarily
replacing /dev/tty with a plain text file, which seems to work just fine.
I had to put it in an rc script that runs when the machine reboots itself after
install so that i'm working on the "real" filesystem. The script removes itself
when it's done.

The following script performs the setting of the password when run as root:

--- cut here ---
#!/bin/sh
mv /dev/tty /dev/tty-device
mv /dev/tty-eeprom /dev/tty
eeprom security-mode=command 2>/dev/null
mv /dev/tty /dev/tty-eeprom
mv /dev/tty-device /dev/tty
--- cut here ---

Note the script I was sent doesn't actually set the password, because it's
missed out the eeprom security-password= command :-)

Bill Hewitt                  || Computing Support Team
Division of Informatics      || EMAIL : Bill.Hewitt@ed.ac.uk
University of Edinburgh      || OR    : bill@cogsci.ed.ac.uk
2 Buccleuch Place            || VOICE : +44 (0131) 650 4429
Edinburgh EH8 9LW            || FAX   : +44 (0131) 650 4587
M       ftp://ftp.cs.toronto.edu/pub/jdd/sun-managers/policy
A   To submit questions/summaries to this list send your email message to:
N       sun-managers@sunmanagers.ececs.uc.edu
A   To unsubscribe from this list please send an email message to:
G       majordomo@sunmanagers.ececs.uc.edu
E   and in the BODY type:
R       unsubscribe sun-managers
S   Or
.       unsubscribe sun-managers original@subscription.address
L   To view an archive of this list please visit:
I       http://www.latech.edu/sunman.html