List:       sun-managers
Subject:    about formatting hard disk on Sun Solaris
From:       Jinghui Guo <jguo () eecs ! uic ! edu>
Date:       2000-09-29 4:57:44

Hi,

I need your help now.

I am trying to reformat my hard disk now. Because when I used unix command
"find", there is a error message: I/O error. Also many files are removed
on that disk when I used "fsck" to check the file system.

But format and label failed on that hard disk (second one in the
system). I tried to let the system re-probe it by using "probe-scsi" under
ok-mode, and the system did find it. Then I rebooted and logged in and ran
"drvconfig" and "disks" to rebuild the device files, and then ran
"format", but I got these error messages as attached in the end of the
mail.

Could you help me in identifying this problem and suggesting possible
solutions? Is this possibly caused by a hardware failure or just by system
misconfiguration? How can I test if the hard disk is physically impaired
or not? Thanks!

Jinghui Guo
9.28

--------------------------begin error message----------------------------
# format
Searching for disks...done

c0t1d0: configured with capacity of 8.48GB

AVAILABLE DISK SELECTIONS:
       0. c0t0d0 <SUN2.1G cyl 2733 alt 2 hd 19 sec 80>
          /sbus@1f,0/espdma@e,8400000/esp@e,8800000/sd@0,0
       1. c0t1d0 <FUJITSU-M2949S-512-0117 cyl 5038 alt 2 hd 18 sec 196>
          /sbus@1f,0/espdma@e,8400000/esp@e,8800000/sd@1,0
Specify disk (enter its number): 1
selecting c0t1d0
[disk unformatted]
Disk not labeled.  Label it now? y
Warning: error writing VTOC.
Medium error during read
ASC: 0x31   ASCQ: 0x1

Warning: error reading backup label.
Medium error during read
ASC: 0x31   ASCQ: 0x1
Warning: error reading backup label.
Medium error during read
ASC: 0x31   ASCQ: 0x1
Warning: error reading backup label.
Medium error during read
ASC: 0x31   ASCQ: 0x1
Warning: error reading backup label.
Medium error during read
ASC: 0x31   ASCQ: 0x1
Warning: error reading backup label.
Warning: no backup labels
Write label failed

FORMAT MENU:
        disk       - select a disk
type       - select (define) a disk type
        partition  - select (define) a partition table
        current    - describe the current disk
        format     - format and analyze the disk
        repair     - repair a defective sector
        label      - write label to the disk
        analyze    - surface analysis
        defect     - defect list management
        backup     - search for backup labels
        verify     - read and display labels
        save       - save new disk/partition definitions
        inquiry    - show vendor, product and revision
        volname    - set 8-character volume name
        !<cmd>     - execute <cmd>, then return
        quit
format>

format> disk 1
selecting c0t1d0
[disk unformatted]
Disk not labeled.  Label it now? n
format> format
Ready to format.  Formatting cannot be interrupted
and takes 73 minutes (estimated). Continue? y
Beginning format. The current time is Wed Sep 27 16:45:49 2000

Formatting...
Format failed

Retry of formatting operation without any of the standard
mode selects and ignoring disk's Grown Defects list.  The
disk may be able to be reformatted this way if an earlier
formatting operation was interrupted by a power failure or
SCSI bus reset.  The Grown Defects list will be recreated
by format verification and surface analysis.

Retry format without mode selects and Grown Defects list?

-------------------------end error message-------------------------

U   BEFORE POSTING please READ the FAQ located at
N       ftp://ftp.cs.toronto.edu/pub/jdd/sun-managers/faq
.   and the list POLICY statement located at
M       ftp://ftp.cs.toronto.edu/pub/jdd/sun-managers/policy
A   To submit questions/summaries to this list send your email message to:
N       sun-managers@sunmanagers.ececs.uc.edu
A   To unsubscribe from this list please send an email message to:
G       majordomo@sunmanagers.ececs.uc.edu
E   and in the BODY type:
R       unsubscribe sun-managers
S   Or
.       unsubscribe sun-managers original@subscription.address
L   To view an archive of this list please visit:
I       http://www.latech.edu/sunman.html