List:       sun-managers
Subject:    More Info: m64config broke my system!
From:       "David L. Markowitz" <David.Markowitz () litronic ! com>
Date:       2000-09-28 20:54:26

I wrote:
> I tried to use m64config to change the display settings on an Ultra 5.
> I then rebooted it.  During the reboot, the system failed to come up,
> giving the following errors:
>
> 	INIT: Cannot create /var/adm/utmp or /var/adm/utmpx
>
> 	INIT: Failed write of utmpx entry: "  "
>
> 	INIT: Failed write of utmpx entry: "  "
>
> 	INIT: SINGLE USER MODE
>
> 	INIT: Enter Run Level (0-6, s or S):
>
> Entering anything here results in the same errors, and looping back to the
> same prompt.  I have booted from CD and checked those files.  They (and
> the directory /var/adm) look normal.  I renamed the existing utmp* files
> and rebooted with the same result.
>
> How do I get my system back up?

I've received several responses, with the following suggestions:

	- Make sure /var is being mounted rw.

This system has only one filesys, "/".

	- File system corruption - run fsck.

I have done this.  It found no problems at all.

	- Boot verbose to see what the problem is.

This showed me all the devices, then gave me the same errors. :-(

	- Reload the system from tape or cdrom.

Well, of course I could do this.  I'm trying to *avoid* doing this.

Other things I have now tried include booting from cdrom, mounting
the file system, and then I:

	Looked through the init.d scripts and found nothing.

	Ran strings on init and found lots of references to these
	files.  This stuff is being done *in* "init".

	Compared the checksums of init, utmpd, and utmp_update to
	the same files on another Solaris 7 U5.  They are the same.
	They are also the same mode.

	David L. Markowitz			Director, UNIX Software
	David.Markowitz@litronic.com		Litronic Inc
	http://members.home.net/rttrek		http://www.litronic.com/

U   BEFORE POSTING please READ the FAQ located at
N       ftp://ftp.cs.toronto.edu/pub/jdd/sun-managers/faq
.   and the list POLICY statement located at
M       ftp://ftp.cs.toronto.edu/pub/jdd/sun-managers/policy
A   To submit questions/summaries to this list send your email message to:
N       sun-managers@sunmanagers.ececs.uc.edu
A   To unsubscribe from this list please send an email message to:
G       majordomo@sunmanagers.ececs.uc.edu
E   and in the BODY type:
R       unsubscribe sun-managers
S   Or
.       unsubscribe sun-managers original@subscription.address
L   To view an archive of this list please visit:
I       http://www.latech.edu/sunman.html