List:       sun-managers
Subject:    network slowness between SunOS 5.6 & SunOS 4.1.4
From:       Viet_Q_Hoang <vhoang () lucent ! com>
Date:       2000-05-31 15:45:50

We're running remote backup of SunOS 4.1.4 machines using
rsh like this
   rsh sunos4 -l backupid /usr/etc/dump 0f - /dev/rsdxx

There's a major time difference when this command is run
on SunOS 5.6 vs. SunOS 4.1.4, the 5.6 backup server takes
about twice as long given the same backup client & filesystem.
I've tried this on 3 different 5.6 boxes (2 at 105181-12 kernel
1 at 105181-14) with 3 different 4.1.4 boxes.  All machines
are on the same subnet connected to different hubs, that
should eliminate network equipments as the problem cause.

Some test runs with rcp /vmunix also shows the 5.6 boxes to be
slower although the difference is not as much.

Any suggestions on what can fix this problem?

--

Viet Hoang
vhoang@lucent.com