List:       sun-managers
Subject:    Symbolic Link to env. var.
From:       Seth Rothenberg <SROTHENB () montefiore ! org>
Date:       1998-01-30 13:13:59

I need to make a symbolic link that will evaluate
a variable at access time, rather than when
the link is created.  I have seen this on AFS,
but not UNIX.

I am using a 4GL (datagate).  For the most part,
the user's home directory is searched for include
files.  However, certain include files are found
in a subdirectory of the installation directory.

I would like to make this a symbolic link to
a subdirectory in the user's directory,
so that each user's instance of the 4GL has
his or her include files.

The primary reason for this is so that
include files that are added to the TEST
install won't be forgotten when moving an
application to PRODUCTION.  As long as I can
use change management when moving from
development/unit testing to QA/TEST region,
my change management software won't miss the file.

Thanks for your help
Seth Rothenberg
srothenb@montefiore.org

PS I do have a workaround that is spaghetti...
If each user has a directory with symlinks of
most dirextories in the install tree, except
the directory that is in question, the desired
result is achieved, but that amounts to
hundreds of symlinks rather than six.