List:       sun-managers
Subject:    new disk in SunBlade1000 does not boot.
From:       Donald McLachlan <Donald.McLachlan () crc ! ca>
Date:       2009-11-30 18:04:23

Forgive me managers for I have sinned.  I have not posted (or answered)
for over 10 years. ;-)

I've occasionally been hearing what sounds like disk bearing whine so
decided to install a new (fibre-channel) boot disk. I successfully
partition'ed, newfs'ed, fsck'ed the disk.  First hiccup I hit was with
installboot.  My online manpage gives the following example:

    installboot /usr/platform/`uname -i`/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk
/dev/rdsk/c1t0d0s0

On this machine 'uname -i' reports

    "SUNW,Sun-Blade-1000"

But there is no bootblk in that sub-tree. 'uname -a` reports:

    "SunOS janus 5.10 Generic_118833-36 sun4u sparc SUNW,Sun-Blade-1000"

There is a bootblk in the /usr/platform/sun4u sub-tree. (In fact "find /
-xdev -name bootblk -print" only finds a bootblk in the sun4u sub
tree.)  Thus I did:

    installboot /dev/rdsk/c1t2d0s0 /usr/platform/sun4u/lib/fs/ufs/bootblk

It did not report any errors.  Next I mounted my
to-be-new-root-partition on /mnt and successfully copied the root
filesystem with the following command:

    ufsdump 0f - /dev/rdsk/c1t1d0s0 | (cd /mnt; ufsrestore xf - )

Next I edited the /mnt/etc/vfstab accordingly, shutdown the system,
removed the original boot disk, put the to-be-boot-disk in that slot,
and rebooted the machine. The reboot appeared normal, it initialised, it
reported the system hostname, it configured eri0 ... and then nothing
happened.  The system did not crash, it did not give a login page, it
just sat there and did nothing.  I'm able to re-install the original
boot disk and run, but I cannot get the system to boot from the new disk.

I did find the following in another post, and wanted to make sure that
is in fact my problem before continuing (I'd have to boot from my
existing disk as I don't have a solaris10 boot cd).  Also, the
"/a/etc/path_to_inst" in the following commands looks suspicious to me -
that and my drvconfig manpage does not list a -p option ....

NOTE: I don't have a Solaris10 boot cd and the last thing I want is a
system that cannot boot from either disk!

	Thanks James from SUN for the explanation of the problem.

	The workaround was booting from Solaris boot CD and performing the
	following:

	ok boot cdrom -sw
	   mount /dev/dsk/c0t3d0s0 /a
	   cd /a/dev/dsk
	   rm c*
	   cd /a/dev/rdsk
	   rm c*
	   cd /
	   drvconfig -r /a/devices -p /a/etc/path_to_inst
	   devlinks -r /a
	   disks -r /a
	   tapes -r /a
	   ports -r /a
	   audlinks -r /a
	   cd /
	   umount /a
	   reboot

	drvconfig etc is obsolete and replaced with devfsadmd but I did not bother
	to learn it since the above procedure worked.

	Marcelino

I REPEAT: I don't have a Solaris10 boot cd and the last thing I want is
a system that cannot boot from either disk! :-)

On a possibly related note, `eeprom` reports:

boot-device=/pci@8,600000/SUNW,qlc@4/fp@0,0/disk@w21000004cf680853,0:a
disk net

Thanks,
Don