List:       sun-managers
Subject:    Solaris 10 fails install onto IBM format FC disk on Blade 1000
From:       Neil Taylor <taylor.neil () blueyonder ! co ! uk>
Date:       2007-03-29 12:32:31

I have a SunBlade 1000 server.  The original disk failed so I now need
to install the OS onto a newIBM badged drive (IBM ST173404FC from
Seagate ).  Install fails as it cannot find the disk.  So install dumps
me to a command prompt.  Format fails.  I have to specify the
characteristics of the disk, cylinders, tracks and heads, rpm, etc
before I can execute "format".  Format fails as it cannot verify the
disk.  So I have a new disk and solaris 10 install media, but I can't
install solaris until I can format the disk, which I can't do.   Catch
22?  Interestingly in EEPROM it does find the details of the drive,
manufacturer and model etc in reponse to a probe-scsi.  I'm pretty sure
I have also tried the boot -r command as well.  However, if I do a
probe-scsi-all I occasionally get a "bus-fault" output repeatedly and I
have to hard reboot (switch off) the machine to end it.  I have looked
into this bus fault and it may be a known problem on the SunBlade 1000
power management.  But I don't rule out a bus failure.  Any help,
greatly appreciated.