List:       sun-managers
Subject:    Question RE: SUN's format
From:       Barry Callahan <barryc () rjlsystems ! com>
Date:       2004-04-29 20:44:44

Here's a bit of a silly question:

I now have a drive that Sun's format claims is of unknown type, and that it also
claims is unformatted.

HOWEVER -

If I ask it to show me the partition table, this is what it returns:

slice	tag		cyls		My comment
0	root		0-146
1	usr		147-731		Should actually be /usr
3	var		732-1024
4	swap		1025-1317
5	unassigned	1318-2778	should be /opt
6	usr		2779-3462	/usr/openwin
7	usr		3463-4923	/usr/local

Is there something I could do to restore the drive to "formatted" status without
destroying the existing data?  Or otherwise make the partitions mountable?  I'd
like to retrieve a few files off the disk, if possible, before it makes its way
to the trash.