List:       subversion-users
Subject:    Re: Can't connect to github anymore
From:       Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadel () gmail ! com>
Date:       2024-01-19 12:07:01

On Fri, Jan 19, 2024 at 3:03 AM Olivier Sannier <olivier@obones.com> wrote:

> Partial checkouts are somewhat possible with GIT but what is preventing me from \
> migrating our repository is the lack of svn:external mechanism. I don't want \
> multirepos, and even then submodules are to be updated manually everytime where \
> svn:external are automatically up to date. And ideally, I would also need file \
> externals support even if I could settle for folder external if that's all there \
> is. I looked a various solutions but none where as easy to use for developers than \
> externals when doing a "svn update" at the root of the checkout.
> That being said, I'd be quite happy to be proven wrong.

It's not a built-in. There are tools that have wrapped in
automatically updating subdirectories with git repos, such as
Terraform submodules. Terraform.... was written more to do one-time
checkouts in a CI/CD environment. It avoids the git submodule problem
of submodules being hooked to a particular commit, rather than an
easily updated branch by name, which requires a distinct update
procedure.  That is something that svn:externals handle a bit more
easily.