List:       subversion-users
Subject:    Re: Need help in Subversion migration
From:       Bo Berglund <bo.berglund () gmail ! com>
Date:       2021-05-18 16:07:55

On Mon, 17 May 2021 17:15:13 -0400, David Newman <dnewman@unixmonkeys.com>
wrote:

>> A few years back I replicated our live SVN repository, to get a backup, by using
>> a dump followed by a load on the replication server. The dump files were moved
>> over the Internet in tgz files before being used to load onto the new server.
>>
>> Then I set up svnsync to get the replica fully updated. That worked even over
>> the Internet, but my repo size was not as huge as here, only some 15 GB...
>>
>> Now the live server has a nightly svnsync script that keeps the two repos in
>> sync. If some network issues happen so that such a sync cannot be done then the
>> following will catch up and make the replica current again.
>>
>> Something like that but running on the local LAN (for speed) would surely be
>> possible to migrate.
>>

>A faster method of copying the repository than dump while being read
>consistent would be svnadmin hotcopy.  This allows the repository to be
>open while being copied.  If possible you can NFS mount the destination
>location and hotcopy straight to it.  Then you can use incremental
>dump/restore from the source to the destination to pick up changes until
>you are ready to do the final cutover.  I've used this method many times.

I had to do the transfer while being 8400 km away...
So what I did was to create the dump files on the actual server, then zip them
and upload to my ISP webstorage using ftp. Then from there to my new server agin
FTP download and after unzipping I could load the dump files onto the new SVN
server.
That gave me a snapshot in time but all the heavy weight stuff was included.
So when I set up svnsync after a few days it figured out what should be
transfered to make the repos in sync.

Had the backup server been on the same LAN as the source server then the method
might have been different.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden